“Regret is useless in life. It’s in the past. All we have is now.” – Marlon Brando
Letting go of things that happened in the past is hard…it’s really hard. Strong emotional ties to events of consequence in our life have a tendency to leave a memorable impression. In some ways, it can be positive – reminiscing about a loved one that’s passed or reflecting on past accomplishments. In other ways, it’s not so positive – reliving a relationship that just didn’t pan out or torturing ourselves over a dumb decision.
Holding onto negative things that have happened in the past allows such events to adversely impact our present and future. Admittedly, it can be difficult to ignore these thoughts, as our brain has a cleverly devious way of reminding us. Only self-awareness coupled with a conscious decision to continue forth despite of the past will allow us to live a peaceful and meaningful life.
HERE ARE 20 SIGNS IT’S TIME TO LET GO OF THE PAST AND MOVE ON:
1. If the people and/or environment around us are creating feelings of exhaustion, it’s time to move on.
2. If we’ve lost the joy and sense of curiosity in doing what we once loved, it’s probably time to find something else that inspires us.
3. If our core beliefs and ethics have been compromised because of the situation we’re in, it’s time to leave that situation behind.
4. If we’re not having fun anymore, it’s time to find something that recreates that joyful feeling.
5. If we’re faking a positive disposition when the circumstances are leaving us miserable, it’s time to confront this self-deception and move past it.
6. If we’re scared of making changes and instead settling for our current condition, it’s time to embrace those fears and more forward anyways.
7. If we feel that our dreams are no longer relevant or possible, it’s probably time to remind ourselves of our purpose and take concrete steps to make it happen.
8. If we yearn for feelings of freedom, it’s probably because our current situation doesn’t allow for it. Consider changing that.
9. If our life’s current state does not coincide with the expectations we’ve set, it’s time to be proactive in meeting those expectations.
10. If we have more feelings of sadness than happiness; find ourselves crying more than laughing, it’s probably because of a toxic situation that needs to be left behind.
11. If our thought processes are more affixed to things in the past rather than the present or future, it’s time to make a change.
12. If we find ourselves continually pleading for someone or some situation to change for the better, it’s worthwhile to contemplate whether or not it’s working.
13. If a current situation invokes feelings of boredom, resentfulness or complacency, it’s probably time to make a change.
14. If rehashing memories causes more pain than comfort, it’s time to move forward and make new ones.
15. If we’re unsuccessful in correcting patterns of behavior that have caused us harm, it’s time to evaluate why and make a positive change.
16. If we feel isolated from everyone else; if we feel we’re not being understood and accepted; if we feel disrespected or devalued, we’re in the company of the wrong people. It’s probably time to find new relationships.
17. If someone we’re with causes us to cease personal development and/or discovery, it may be time to move forward.
18. If we’ve attempted to “making things work” multiple times with no progress, it’s time to evaluate the situation and make a change.
19. If we’ve continually made sacrifices for our significant other that hasn’t been reciprocated, it’s definitely time for a discussion. It’s possible that it may be time to part ways.
20. If we’ve neglected our other personal relationships because of some person or some situation, we’re hurting them and ourselves. It’s time to change that.
Most decisions to move on are difficult. This is especially true when these decisions involve letting go of another human being or group of people. It’s important to understand that we needn’t make this difficult transition alone, although many people unnecessarily feel this way.
If you make a decision to move forward in life, do so for the right reasons. Also, please seek the comfort and assistance of people that love and care for you.